I know, I know, it’s Summer and the last thing you want to do is more “school work.” But the past two weeks of Creation Today Shows’ interviews with Jay Seegert of the Creation Education Center have been so amazing I had to figure out a way to inspire you to watch or listen to them. So I decided to write up a study guide. I promise, once you’ve listened and answered the questions, you will know more about DNA than the vast majority of people out there without crossing your eyes (just blowing your brain)!
Here’s your assignment Part 1: Listen to this episode of Creation Today Show: Is Evolution Probable or Problematic? and fill in the blanks.
- Evolution requires lots of _____________ and ________________ to explain how living things came to be
- Mutations happen when something changes in a creature’s ________
BTW I wasn’t able to find how much DNA is in a teaspoon, or if this is the amount in one person or many. I was able to find how far the DNA in a single adult would reach if stretched out end to end HERE. It would stretch to the __________ and back ___________ times (or around the ________ 2.5 million times)!
- How is DNA like this phrase, “was it a rat I saw?” _______________
- How is DNA more complicated than a palindrome?___________________________
- Is this something that is easily and naturally done? Can computer whizzes do it? ______
The analogy he gives here is especially enlightening. Share with someone in your own words…
- Is a mutation likely to add helpful meaning to this?____ Why? _________
- How long are DNA reversing codes? A. a single word B. a sentence C. a paragraph D. a chapter E. more than a chapter
This has already started to show you how good God is at making “secret” codes. Now we’re really going to see how amazing His code system is!How is DNA like some Wheel of Fortune puzzles? ____________. If you don’t know Wheel of Fortune, they spell out phrases like Jay Seegert does at this point. If you like brain quizzes, HERE’s a set of these type of puzzles to try to solve.
OK, you can skip the last couple of minutes since it’s just closing notes.
Now on to Part 2 More DNA evidence for special creation, problems for evolution! (You can skip the first 6 minutes if you want)
- Next level of “secret” codes in DNA: ________ bits of DNA and ________ing them together to get new info
- How big are the sections that get spliced? Whole ________ and __________
- Another level of information picks up pieces at regular intervals and forms ___________
- What do mutations do to this coding system? _________________ Is this helpful? _____
Now we’re getting to real FBI stuff!
- DNA includes data _____________________ to add more info
Here’s a whole different way of looking at the complexity of DNA
- How long did it take you to learn to read English? Did it happen randomly without any teachers? DNA uses symbols to represent real things much like our alphabet (although God only needed 4 letters to do it!)
- DNA not only has an alphabet, it also forms words using ____________ rules much like we have to study!
Back to the data encryption:
- To solve an encryption puzzle, you have to have the _______
- Is this possible without a programmer?
Now you know more about DNA than most _____________. Who are they putting their faith in? ___________________
(I don’t know about you, but I love their Genesis Series ad!! Way cool stuff!)
- The Third level of information has to be read in __ __ (you can make a sample like this by following Wikihow’s instructions, writing a code on the finished shape and then unfolding it!)
- There’s a backup system of info in the Cell _______ that double checks what comes out of the nucleus to make sure things match up so if something changes
I tried to find out what he is talking about here, but without any keywords I couldn’t find anything (I’ve asked him, so I’ll let you know when I find out!)
- If our DNA actually was only 2% different from a Chimp (it’s really much more than that), how many “spelling errors” would it take to produce a human being? ____________
- These changes would fill _________ books of _____ pages each!
Wow! I don’t know about you but this makes me want to get up and sing to our Super-Smart Creator God!! BTW I read this passage in my Bible Reading this morning:
Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts. I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works. And men shall speak of the might of thy terrible acts: and I will declare thy greatness. Psalm 145:3-6
Don’t miss the fun in today’s Quotes and more!